Thursday, December 3, 2009

It's December 3rd

Wow, time sure flew the past couple months. I can't believe it.

Since my last blog, 4 ponies have found their way to my farm. Haven, who is a Dun Haven Fashion King daughter, Holly, who is a Maestro daughter (she's on loan), Kitty, who is a niece (in human terms) of my stallion Cowboy, and Etta, who is an AGS pony (she's on loan as well).

Haven took to the herd well and integrated easily. Holly is a weanling and she had a month before she became accepted by my weanling pack. Kitty is also a weanling and is low man on the totem pole right now. Well we'll see for how much longer. She's gaining in strength and attitude.

And then there is Etta. Holy cow Etta has been a trip. She came from a herd of 70 mares. She had not been touched apparently since the day she was born and you can tell. I have had her for 4 weeks now and we just now got her halter taken off of her. I couldn't even catch her when she came. Not only that, she left a nice hoof mark on my right inner thigh. Silly girl.

Just a couple days ago she got her feet trimmed for the first time in her life. And it took a long hour to do what we did. But no one got hurt and by the time we were done, she was dealing with everything well. Then two days ago, I took her halter off for the first time in her stall and let her have the night off. I was able to catch her easily the next morning. And then again this morning. So today, I got brave and took the halter off so she's out in her paddock without her halter. I am trying to prepare her to be integrated with the other mares and fillies. She wants to go play with them, but I need to be able to catch her. So we'll see how today goes. I am hoping by the weekend I can split the older mares up and put Etta in with the younger babies for a couple days and then turn everyone loose together.

I also put a young stallion and Cowboy together and they play, all day. They come in very tired. I am very happy that they are getting along together, gives them plenty of exercise. Shiner still has the whole paddock to himself on his days out. But he tells me he is bored all the time. Poor baby.

The weanlings are growing by leaps and bounds now. Ringer is about the size of Cookie who is now going on 2. He actually maybe be a bit taller than her. But he has a nice top line and pretty face for a Show Pony. Biggie isn't going to be huge, I can tell. His growth pattern is that like Cookies, who is not tall either. She's about 42 inches tall. But he is pretty!

Most of the barn has been cutting teeth this past month. Everyone has been really crabby. But I am starting to see signs of teething slowing down. My little girl Honey is all kisses and hugs now instead of bites and dirty looks.

I see the first signs of winter, cold weather and snow flakes falling slowly. Can't wait for snow on the ground. Tulip is a blast when there is snow on the ground.

No comments: