Saturday, January 10, 2009

Beautiful Day

It was so nice out today, a little chilly, but hey, the sun was out. I worked on the boys and shuffled Arnold around a bit. And then brought some of the girls up a little later.

Smokie got tacked up again today and I brought out the driving reins. My niece came over and walked up and down the driveway with Smokie and I. Not sure I needed it, but I wanted to be sure if he decided to be playful, there was a little extra insurance around. She had all she could do to keep out of his way. Smokie did fine his first turn around the block, but then he figured he would be playful and kept walking into her. It was only playful. So maybe next time, she just stands around or walks behind with me. I still want a second pair of hands around, just in case. But all in all, Smokie walked drunkly straight, turned well to the right and joltingly turned to the left. Can you tell which side he favors?

Honey and Mizzie came in for their turn with the foo foo stuff. They didn't have quite the same reaction that Smokie and Cowboy did, so now you know how female it smelled! Anyways, Mizzie did great, only took and 1/2 hour to get through mane, tail and forelock. What little forelock she has. Her mane is coming along nicely, her tail I wish was a little longer, but we are still 4.5 months off from the first show. So that's maybe a couple more inches.

Honey did way better today, she only took about 1/2 hour too. I guess I am going to have to bite the bullet and take a couple inches off of her mane and tail as they are so sunburned I don't think the hair is recoverable. But, at least she will recover from the hair cut.

BOTH had the "I don't want to be tied up" ants today. They both were chewing on wood, stinkers. I don't want that to be a habit, so I was scolding just as much as putting gunk in their hair.

Opal and Tulip spent the same time I was working on the fillies in the weanlings paddock behind the barn. They thought that was "SNAP!" Finishing up whatever the weanlings didn't eat. The weanlings were watching everything with keen intent and then Lady started bugging the crap out of me to pay attention to her. Cookie wanted attention too, but she just sticks her nose out at me and waits for me to kiss her. Stinker!

Tomorrow I need to bring Tulip and Opal in and get their manes and tails done before the big freeze coming in this week. Oh didn't I mention that, live in the deep freeze - literally!

No comments: