Monday, January 19, 2009

Whew!

Well the wind was considerably less today. I only have 4 more stalls to cleanse all the way to the floor mats! YIPPPEE!

Well on one of my breaks I was sitting reading some of the emails I have received and I looked ou the window and low and behold a head held high and a huge tail flag was going from one side of the pasture to the other in high tail fashion was a pony on a mission. The mission today was 'Kill The Bale'. I mean if you were to see this you would roll over on the floor laughing. Tulip decided she was going to kill the bale of hay on the other side of the pasture. I watched as she jauntily picked up speed and headed straight for it. I thought she would stop, but nope, she cruised right over the top of it. Non too gracefully either. She kind of half fell, half tripped and then picked herself up like a dizzy blond that tripped over her own feet and barely caught herself upright. The other ponies stepped back about 2 steps and stared at her.

Tulip wasn't done either, she popped her head up and bowled her shoulder into the bale and proceeded to try to move it to some unknown destination. Not moving it, she reared up her front feet and pounced on the bale. She hung out for several seconds and then tried to jump up and over the bale. Not succeeding , Tulip trotted a few feet away and turned around, looked at everyone, like nothing ever happened.

But the other ponies didn't let it slide - they each took a turn at poking fun at her in their own way. Tulip didn't take it hard though, she started them all running around with their heads cut off. Atta girl Tulip, make it your own, own it! LOL!

My babies are starting to loose their weanling guts ! It could take along time, unless you know the secret. Everyone thinks they can handle grass hay, some omolene 100 or 200 and work their little hooves to death to get rid of their pot guts. But the real trick is, they need all their essentials and a great source of protein, 16% or better. I have seen weanlings turn around in a short time with the correct nutrients. I have also seen weanlings hang onto their weanling pot guts for more than 6 months because their feed program isn't keeping up with their nutritional needs. Then you get a strung out looking yearling. But all is well. I was sweating it, but its all good now.

Oh and speaking of weanlings (who are now really yearlings), my ASPR filly has been watching one Shiner very carefully lately. She has the stolen 'Tucker ball' in her pen right now. I wondered who threw it over the fence in the mares and fillies pasture. This morning I had my answer. Lady picked it up, she was moving it around, and flipping it up and down like Shiner does. Little stinker! Talented she will be.

I did mare check today and I am happy to say, my ASPR mare is starting to look preggers. I wondered for about the past month if she got missed, but she exploded over the cold snap! I have had no doubt on my Classic mare, she is happily preggers. And the maiden mare is starting to stretch her bag out, so she is on track for her due date.

This year I will have to rig up a foaling stall as the first foal is due the end of March, so anytime after March 1st I need to be ready. So I got some of the supplies to insulate the walls and board up the inbetween wall. I have a heater on the way, I will have it ready to go by the first of February and ready for the first foal to arrive.

Its kind of exciting. I love having the babies in the spring and summer. They are so much fun to watch and interact with. Such curious little things. And if you ever want a great kiss - all you have to do is ask and you are bound to get a big wet milk smelling kiss!

Well off to dreaming of new babies for this year!

No comments: