Sunday, January 4, 2009

Its Sunday and Oh my gosh the snow!

So we did wake up to about 6" of snow on the ground. And it was chilly. Even though the sun was out - it was below zero for windchill. So the ponies stayed in today.

I did take time to clean stalls, which plays into the whole training thing. Everyone needs a refresher course in tying and moving while stuff is flying around them and pitchforks are under their hooves, etc.

Tulip was fun, she didn't know what to think of being tied, nor did she think too much of my moving her "STUFF" around in her stall. Never thought a pony would be so protective of stuff. Stomp, stomp. Puff puff. Patty Pat Pat, stomp stomp, puff puff. I had to go look to make sure a train wasn't going by.

The amazing thing was each horse got a bit of attention today. Mizzie is going to be drop dead gorgeous. She hasn't been tied in over a year. So she was pretty pitter patter with her hooves as well. But she finally settled into a position that had her pretty stretched out. And boy when she hooked her neck, pretty fine looking there! Can't wait to get that winter coat off of her and get her into a bit better shape! If she gets her legs up a couple more inches and pulls her neck up into that notch on top - WATCH OUT world!

I did have a quandry - what if the local shows don't run the height divisions? I am going to have to have a handler for not only Tulip and Lady because they will compete against each other, but also for Mizzie and Honey as they are both 2 and would be in the same class. SHEESH! I'll cross that bridge when I get there I guess.

Okay, so as the day wore on, there is no way I could work with anyone's manes of tails, the gunk I use would have frozen and then might have broke hairs off. I don't know, but in my mind I see Mr. Freeze from that Batman movie, where he freezes something and it just falls right off. Not interested in that at all with the ponies.

I did a bit of research online, looking for tail extensions. I found a Hackney extension, initiated an email conversation with the person offering it and guess what!?- I had to send that person a link to their own website. I am wondering if the person really knows what they are selling! AND THEN - the person called it a cob tail. WELL - a cob tail is a tail that is cut off very short in a blunt cut, usually at the bottom of the tail bone. This pic was certainly not that. I am curious though because it might just be what I am looking for, so I sent an email back asking for more questions.

Other than that I have to call a couple trainers and ask how extensions are attached to ponies. Its way different than stock horses.

Other than that, I made sweet and sour chicken with basmati rice for supper and YUM!!! It was great!

Off to check ponies for the night.

No comments: