Saturday, January 3, 2009

Starting Over - No More Training wheels!

It was a long day. I had big dreams of having coffee this am and slowly settling into doing barn chores, horse stuff, etc. Well it was a quickly disseminating dream. Kind blew away with the wind that picked up this morning. The farrier showed up. How cool is that?! Today was the day set to take Cookie's training wheels off. Well okay not training wheels for real, but her 5 months of having acrylic shoes on her front feet. She put up a stink all the way through the work on her feet. But then when I let her take her first few steps without them--she didn't know how to step first off. Then I put her out in her pasture with her pasture mate Lady and by the time I brought them back in for feeding tonight, she was trotting up to me just fine. I didn't get a lot of time to watch to see if she tore around the pasture or not, but I do know she ate her feed. Had a bit of hay and then crashed and burned on the stall floor. I would say she might have done a bit outside today!

With impending 5-10 inches of snow tonight, which started coming down at 5 pm, I needed to clean all the stalls as thoroughly as I could. Which meant the weanlings needed a full cleaning. It took me about 4 hours today. One hour was spent helping my Dad move stuff from the garage floor to some shelves he put up. But hey, it was quality time.

Today was also worming day. Okay its supposed to be the 1st day of every month, but we had New Years this month now didn't we??? So that added an extra 30 minutes because each individual pony had to be brought in by themselves, instead of in pairs. Just think Tulip thought that was pretty funny!

And to continue with conditioning show ponies manes and tails - I worked with Honey tonight. OH MY GOSH - it took 2 hours. Its almost 10pm and I just walked in. She was so funny. She is always bugging the crap out of me to pay attention to her. She was having all sorts of fits because I went through her mane while she was tied. Then I did her forelock, if we reared once, we reared 20 times tonight. And then her tail--I am very tired! I got the "I think I am going to try to kick you" bit for the last 30 minutes. Each time I popped the comb on her tummy and reminded her it would get her nowhere! LOL! I took the time to run a regular stiff brush through her bod and then another, just because she was figiting so much.

Ahhh the hard work begins. You say it sounds like too much work? Well, it is, but while I am doing all this I am thinking about the pony and how great she will look in the show ring this summer. Keeps me going.

1 comment:

Boogie said...

YEA COOKIE!!!

Even though she's had quite the beginning - hopefully you can use your closeness now to your advantage. It's already worked regarding clipping. Let's see what else it may have helped with! At least there is some positives to go along with all those negatives from her birth - WAHOO!